Monday 9 December 2013

My Next Steps Towards Just Changing the World

This is what I am up to at the moment:

1. Volunteering full-time at a local service for recovering addicts.  I've been volunteering there for nearly four years and there have been a lot of changes.  At the moment they are very thin of service users and actual services to offer service users.  I'm going to do my best to contribute as much as I can to improve the service.  I'm starting a 'Learn About Buddhism' class once a week, i'm going to put on lunchtime meditations each day, start a weekly podcast called 'Recovery Talk' for the service users to share their thoughts on all things recovery, and i'm going to start a spiritual meeting group once a week to preserve and develop the (original) spiritual ethos of the service, which I believe to be absolutely vital for the success of the service.  I also have lots of other ideas, but one / four thing(s) at a time!  The aim is to get all of these ideas started before Christmas, and once established to start a new batch of ideas.  It's not just for the benefit of the service and the service users, but it's getting me into a mindset of giving as much as I can.  For a long time i've held back (for various reasons) when I have much to offer, so I want to get used to giving all that I can, and having the attitude and the energy to do so.  

2.  I'm getting involved in social and political action against the austerity measures, and in particular with promoting civil disobedience as the necessary action required to end the cuts.  However, I want to align my efforts with a positive philosophy to achieve a positive vision.  What i'm thinking is to begin a campaign based upon material security for all human beings.  Basically, the idea is that we now live in a world where we have the resources, the means and the collective will for all human beings to have material security, i.e. food, shelter, clothing, medicine, education.  This is possible.  So rather than campaigning simply against the cuts, i'll be campaigning against the cuts as one step towards a larger vision.  I'm not sure it is a vision I would ever see attained in my lifetime, but it's important to plant ideas and nurture them as much as we can.  Material security is essential, and will allow humanity to pursue creative aspirations that will transform the world.  It's something i'll discuss much more over time.

3.  As an extension of the action against austerity I think it is important that I live the lifestyle of those that are affected by austerity.  I want to be on benefits, living in my own accommodation (i'm at my parents at the moment), struggling to eat and pay the bills, living in a cold home, because I have a mind that creates solutions to problems very easily, and so by living how so many others are having to live i'll be able to find little solutions that can then be shared, perhaps in another blog.  Poverty shouldn't be celebrated, but it offers some very positive opportunities if utilised, and if we have to live in poverty then we may as well learn to make it as positive as is possible.  

These are my three main focuses at the moment.  The volunteering helps to keep me in a certain mindset - compassionate, of service, dedicated, giving, all of which will enhance my ability to succeed with my other efforts.  Oh and the other focus is this blog, which, I hope, in time can share certain ideas and attitudes that will be of benefit to others.  I encourage people to recognise the power that they have to make a difference, and yet I have often fallen quite far below my own capacity, and so now it is very important that 1. That messages continues to be shared, but 2. That I am a living example of it.  

Peace!  

No comments:

Post a Comment